Our Community
Business & Industry
Master Calendar
Tourism & Attractions
Our Government

Building Inspections Department PDF Print E-mail

103 South Court Street, Suite B
Luray, Virginia 22835
(540) 743-6674 - phone
(540) 743-1419 - fax


8 AM - 4 PM Monday - Friday  (Closed all legal Holidays)

We do not issue permits after 3:30pm


Enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, which is mandatory statewide.  The building code sets forth minimum standards for the construction and repair of buildings.

The office is responsible for accepting applications for permits, reviewing plans, issuing permits, and making inspections.

Situations requiring a Building Permit:

A Building Permit is required before starting construction of a new building, altering, or adding to an existing building.  If you are not sure whether you need a permit, please give the office a call.

You may need a zoning or health department permit before applying for a building permit.  If your lot is not located within the town limits of Luray, Shenandoah, or Stanley, but you still have town water or sewer, you may not need a permit from the health department.

Health department approval is required prior to the issuance of any building permit for new construction, additions, and some types of remodeling.  This permit can be obtained at the Page County Health Department, 75 Court Lane, Luray, Virginia 22835.  540-743-6528.

New Construction and Additions

Require a zoning permit and health approval to be obtained prior to the building permit being issued.  It is recommended that a building permit application be submitted at the time of zoning application in order that the application and plans can be reviewed for approval while the zoning and health approval are being obtained.  Two sets of plans are required for new construction and additions.  If you do not have architect plans, you need to draw plans showing all structural information in regards to the size of lumber, spans, foundation plans, truss or rafter roof, electrical layout, plumbing layout, mechanical layout, etc.

Remodeling Permits

Require plans to be submitted and approved prior to the building permit being issued.  Depending on the type of remodeling being done, a health permit could be required.

Permits can be required for the installation of siding, replacement windows, and reroof.  Please notifiy the Building Department to inquire if a permit is necessary.

Demolition Permits

Required prior to a building being torn down. 

Swimming Pools

Above ground and inground both require a building permit.  Zoning and Health Department approval is also required prior to a building permit being issued.  You need to submit a structural plan of the pool showing the design when you make application.  A 48" tall fence MUST be placed around all pools.

Commercial Buildings

May require plans drawn by an architect or engineer.  The review process can take several weeks on these depending on the size of the building and the completeness of the plans.

Electrical Upgrades, Changeovers, or Repairs

Require a permit be issued and the work inspected before the power company will make the reconnection.  The permit can usually be issued at the time the application is made.



Section 54.1-1100 of the Code of Virginia identifies the definition of "Contractor" as any person, that for a fixed price, commission, fee, or percentage, undertakes to bid upon, or accepts, or offers to accept, orders or contracts for performing, managing, or superintending in whole or in part, the construction, removal, repair, or improvement of any building or structure permanently annexed to real property owned, controlled, or leased by another person, or any other improvements to such real property.

All contractors are required to have a license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Any contractors living and working in Page County must have a Business License issued through the Commissioner of Revenue.

There are 3 classes of contractors:

  1. Class A - can bid on jobs over $1,000 to any amount
  2. Class B - can bid on jobs over $1,000 to $120,000
  3. Class C - can bid on jobs over $1,000 to $7,500

Along with the above license, electricians, plumbers, and persons doing mechanical work are also required to have a tradesman certification card, issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.



A list of required inspections is given to the applicant at the time the permit is issued.  You need to call to schedule an inspection at least 48 hours in advance.  When you call you will need to let the office know the following:

      • the permit number
      • name of homeowner
      • type of inspection required
      • give your name as requesting the inspection
      • a phone number where homeowner/contractor can be reached

For any questions concerning a building code or a time of inspection, please contact our building department between the hours of 8 and 9 am.


Soil Erosion Permits

A soil erosion permit is required if 10,000 square feet or more of land is goingto be disturbed.  When site work is less than 10,000 square feet, soil erosion measures (silt fences, straw barriers, etc.) are still required to be put in place.

A soil erosion permit is not required for the construction of a single family dwelling; however, the application for an ageement in lieu of an erosion and sediment control plan must be signed by homeowner as well as a Certified Land Disturber.

Kenny Fox, Building Code Official

Ronald Shenk, Building Inspector

Donna Hoke, Senior Program Support Technician

Copyright ©2005 - 2015 Page County

Virginia Webdesign by WinWorld